Skip to main content
So the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 
Then one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot (who was about to betray him), said, "Why wasn't this perfume sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?"
He didn't say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief. He was in charge of the money-bag and would steal part of what was put in it.
John 12:3-6 CSB
Judas's betrayal didn't come 'out of the blue'. The deception started much earlier when Judas  chose to take money given to Jesus and use it for himself. 
Somewhere along the line Judas deceived himself that bad was good. 
Deception started with something small.
Being with a group of Christians didn't stop Judas. 
Being in proximity to Jesus didn't stop Judas. 
His deceit was wrapped up in moralistic words that on the outside could be seen as valid - "isn't there a better use for that perfume? Aren't the poor more important? Isn't that what Jesus says?"
On the outside Judas was moral. Good. 
But he was dishonest with himself and dishonest with the people around him, and with Jesus. 
And in my heart I am just the same. Those same tendencies lurk there. 
And just like Judas, Grace is right there too. When we get honest with God, honest with those around us, grace wins.
The fragrance of grace was in the room, and Judas missed it. Let's not miss it.
#gospelofjohn
#fragrant
#grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken