Skip to main content
When the Red Sea saw you, 
O God, 
its waters looked and trembled! 
The sea quaked to its very depths.
...
Your road led through the sea, 
your pathway through the mighty waters - a pathway no one knew was there!
Psalms 77: 16, 19 NLT

When he is in distress, not only does Asaph make himself remember who God really is, he gets specific and goes back to an event when God directly intervened. Was Asaph there at the Red Sea crossing? 
Or is he recalling something from the collective history of his people?
The point is to get specific, whether it's an answered prayer, a changed life, a moment of clarity, a story from your people or from the Bible, get specific. 

Verse 19 was shared with us omce at a specific time, that was part of shaping our path. 
This verse spoke hope and courage to take the next step. 
When I feel in despair, I can remind myself of who God is, and I can go back to that day v19 was shared and the events that followed as a reminder of Who He Is, as a specific reminder to take the next step. 
Maybe there's one story that is important for you, maybe there's a few, maybe it goes back to Jesus, or one of Jesus team, or an Old Testament character who resonates. 
Asaph's song encourages us to find those stories and let them speak again and again to our soul.
#Psalms
#psalm77
#thenextstep

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken