Skip to main content
Sunday Psalms:

But my enemies say nothing but evil about me. 
"How soon will he die and be forgotten?"
they ask. 
They visit me as if they were my friends, 
but all the while they gather gossip, 
and when they leave, they spread it everywhere. 
All who hate me whisper about me, 
imagining the worst. 
"He has some fatal disease,"
they say. 
"He will never get out of that bed!"
Even my best friend, 
the one I trusted completely, 
the one who shared my food, 
has turned against me. 

Lord, 
have mercy on me. Make me well again, 
so I can pay them back!
Psalms 41:5-10 NLT
Betrayal.
Deceit.
Gossip.
Illness.
Loss of relationship.
Maybe there is something familiar in David's story, maybe something comforting that even something as ugly as betrayal finds it's expression in the Bible.
And guess what?
This psalm doesn't end with forgiveness or some kind of resolution, David gives honest voice to his heart in the moment:
"Lord, 
have mercy on me. Make me well again, 
so I can pay them back!"
He cries out towards God for healing, so that he can get even with those who have betrayed him!
This isn't David's last word, but in that moment it is a searing honesty about his inner world, his response in that moment to illness, betrayal and loss. 
This psalm invites us to be searingly honest about our inner world.
It may not express how we want to be, what we will do, or be our last word, but finding expression for our inner world matters. 
Betrayal and loss and heartache matters. 
#psalms
#songs
#yourvoicematters 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken