Skip to main content
Let no debt remain outstanding, 
except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
Romans 13:8 NIV
Paul has just told his readers to pay their taxes, and uses money - the owing of money - again as a metaphor - a debt to pay, which at the same time doesn't get paid...a lot like taxes it seems...

Does it connect with our Big Ideas from earlier in the letter?

"...I urge you...to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice...this is your true and proper worship. 
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
Romans 12:1-2

Could this transforming worship, this non conformity to the patterns of the world be as simple as loving others?
Could it be that all of The Law is fulfilled by simply loving others?
Could it all be that simple?
(Not that loving others is an easy or simple thing to do)
What changes when we love people - not as a transaction but as a way of being?
Simply loving people takes all kinds of forms, some big, mostly small, mostly unseen, unheard, unknown to any but our Heavenly Father, and it's a way of being we are all invited into...
#letters
#lovepeople
#simplyloving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken