Skip to main content
Friday!
Proverbs!

Fear of the Lord lengthens one's life, 
but the years of the wicked are cut short.
Proverbs 10:27 NLT

Easy to read this as some kind of promise about how long different groups of people will live  - and then it can be weaponised to guilt people into living to some standard...but if Proverbs is more about the heart, my heart, then maybe this Proverb is about something a little different...

Biblehub shares this meaning of the word translated "cut short" here:
"(qatsar) spans the concrete act of cutting grain and the figurative idea of being "shortened" or "impatient."
Found about forty-nine times, it moves from fields of barley and wheat to the inner life of the soul..."

The Message captures it this way:

The Fear-of-God expands your life; a wicked life is a puny life.
Proverbs 10:27 MSG

This is the opposite of what our culture says, which tries to tell me that following Jesus leads to a small, a "puny" life.
What about you?
What is it that shrinks you, shortens you, cuts you off?
What if the fear of Yahweh really is a path to an expanded life?
What could stepping towards that look like for you today?
For me today?
(Knowing that we are already Beloved)

#proverbs
#wisdom
#somethingtochewon #itsaheartthing #takethenextstep 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken