Skip to main content
Then he began to wash the disciples feet, drying them with the towel he had around him. 
John 13:5 NLT

This is so close. So personal.
Jesus with a bowl of water, going from person to person. 
My guess is you're not going to wash 12 people's feet with the same water, that after each person Jesus is discarding the dirty water and coming back with clean. 
I wonder how long this took?
An hour? Two hours? 
Foot washing may not have been unusual but it was not the teacher, not the masters work. 
Jesus is flipping the world upside down. 
Becoming a servant. 

"No", Peter protested, "you will never ever wash my feet!"
Jesus replied, "Unless I wash you, you won't belong to me."
John 13:8 NLT

Typical Peter happy to blurt out what others might be thinking! 
Yet Jesus is saying there's something deeper going on here. Deeper than the external work of servanthood and foot washing. 
Jesus is doing a servants work as a picture of what is going to happen next, as he becomes the servant. 
Becomes the servant of humanity, of Peter, of me, of you. 
And the only way for that to happen is by way of the cross. The cross is Jesus washing my feet. 
The cross is Jesus getting close, cleaning the dirt, drying my feet with his towel, disposing of the dirty water. 
The cross is Jesus the creator of it all becoming a servant, and my saviour.
#upsidedownkingdom
#lovewithoutmeasure
#easter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Genesis 15.8-18.ESV But he said O Lord God , how am I to know that I shall possess it? ...When the sun had gone down and it was dark, behold, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram... March 15 was the last day we looked at Abram's story...he was questioning God and this is God's response...sacrifices and smoke and fire and a covenant...a promise... Isn't that what we crave for sometimes? God, if only you'd just show me smoke & fire, a burning bush a sign, miracle, healing...then all my questions would disappear...all my doubts would be gone... 2moro we'll see Abram's response but I think God values our faith in spite of our questions and doubts. That we choose Him anyway #faith
Psalm 42.1-11.nlt As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God... I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? O God my rock l cry, Why have you forgotten me? Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies? Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, Where is this God of yours? Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God! That song "as the deer pants for the water..." seems almost nice, but it's not...it's part of a cry of anguish, of hurt, of despair...of God not giving an answer...yet...through all that...again and again he says I'll put my hope in God! #choose #hope #hopeunshaken