The king was greatly distressed, but because of his oaths and his dinner guests, he did not want to refuse her.
Mark 6:26 NIV
The King's wife hated John the Baptist.
Her daughter danced at a party and I guess in a had-too-much-to-drink moment made a rash promise.
He could've just said "don't be stupid, here's a pony, or ice cream, or some earrings".
But his pride got in the way.
Herod couldn't admit he made a mistake.
He couldn't allow his guests to think for a moment he was weak or wrong or made a dumb call.
Pride.
Really, what was the worst thing that would've happened if he'd said no?
Where does my pride get in the way?
What I wear
How I look
What I drive
Have I got the right phone, profile pic, etc etc
Who are the "guests" that I'm trying to impress?
Where does my pride get in the way?
There's places and times that I'm just like Herod, and nothing like Jesus.
Lord, help me to walk in Jesus steps, not Herod's, help me to see areas where pride is in the way or leading the way.
Thanks.
Amen.
#gospelofmark
#Godsgym
Joseph replied..."Dont you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now - life for many people..." Genesis 50:19-20 MSG The view from the drone. The different perspective. "God has been at work in my life despite, in fact within the hatred that you had towards me. Even though I couldn't always see it, I kept trusting Him, even when He was silent, when all hope seemed lost... God was at work... Can you see that now?" #faith #faithinthedark
Comments
Post a Comment